Microsoft provides the latest updates every month to make Windows even better. However, many users complain about lagging and slow Windows. Many users face slow computer problems. You might have noticed that your PC was earlier running faster but now it has become quite slow. The lag in the computer might not lead to any major problem, but using a slow computer system is quite annoying and frustrating.
However, the slowness and lag aren’t always caused by the windows OS only. There are many other reasons for your Windows PC to slow down. PC lag can happen due to virus, outdated drivers, or huge temporary files. Let’s find out how to fix PC lag on Windows on your own within a few minutes.
Disable the Unwanted Programs
The very first thing to fix PC lag in your windows computer is to disable the unwanted programs. Many programs automatically run in the background process. The unwanted programs make your windows system slow.
These programs generally start automatically as soon as you turn on the computer. So you need to disable them if you are not using them frequently.
To fix PC lag from unwanted programs, here are the steps you need to follow.
- Open the Task Manager using CTRL + SHIFT + ESC key simultaneously.
- Select the ‘Startup’ tab as shown below.
- Now, check all the programs given there in the list. Right click on the program that you do not use frequently and select the Disable option. Do the same thing for each program that you want to disable from running automatically at the startup.
Doing it for all the programs that you do not want to start automatically will help to fix PC lag on your computer.
Deep Scan your Computer for Viruses
Most of the time, the lag and slowness on the Windows System is caused by viruses. In case the internet is really slow, it is an indication that the machine needs proper scanning.
To fix PC lag because of a virus in your computer, open the Antivirus program to perform a deep scan of the system. Windows Defender comes free for WIndows 10 users. It offers in built app protection and security options.
Press the Windows key and Type Windows Defender Security Center.
Having a regular virus scan will keep your computer protected. You can easily fix PC lags by scheduling automatic virus scans every day or every week.
Check the Drivers to Fix PC lag
Drivers installed in your computer are very important for using basic functions like audio, video, printers, and more. In simple words, a computer driver is a software that makes the communication possible between your computer’s hardware and other software.
If the drivers are outdated or not properly installed, you will experience a lag in your computer.
To fix PC lag, here are the steps to check the drivers of the computer.
- Press Windows and R key at the same time.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Check all the drivers and see if there is a Yellow exclamation mark beside any driver.
- Right click on the driver and select the option Update Driver. This will update the driver in your computer.
In case the driver is no longer available, the update will fail. To fix PC lag, just click on the uninstall device option and follow the instructions given on screen. Now install the driver again from the official website of the manufacturer.
Change Pagefile Size
The virtual memory file that is stored in Windows drive’s root folder is called pagefile. These files aren’t visible until you set the system to show these. If the system is running low on RAM, it will move some memory to the pagefile.sys to make sure it runs smoothly. The files are managed by PC, but you can try to reduce the file size to fix PC lag issues in Windows.
Take a look at the steps you need to fix PC lag within a few minutes.
- Press the Windows key and type ‘performance’. Click on the option ‘Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows’.
- Go to ‘Advanced’ tab and then click on the ‘Change’ button.
- Now, untick the option ‘Automatically manage the page file size for all drives’. Select the Drive where you have installed the windows operating system. Now, select the ‘Custom Size’ option.
- Use 4096 MB in the Initial size. Put 8192 MB in the Maximum Size option. After this, click on ‘Set’.
- Click on ‘OK’.
- Restart your computer and it will fix PC lag issues.
Delete Temporary Files to Fix PC lag
Windows has a special folder to store temporary files for all the programs you regularly use in your computer. These are used as cache to launch programs a bit faster. But if these files get corrupted over a period of time, they will utilize a large portion of your device storage and you will end up experiencing PC lag on windows.
- Press Windows and R key at the same time.
- Type %temp% and press Enter key.
- Select all the files and delete them using Shift + Delete
- After these files are cleared, your PC will run faster.
It’s common for everyone to think that a computer PC lag requires a heavy cost from an expert. But you might be surprised to know how easy it is to fix PC lag on windows yourself with a little investigation.
In case the above methods don’t solve your problem, fortunately you can use a simple tool called PC Reviver to fix PC lag on windows. It is a one-stop computer maintenance solution that helps you to fix common PC problems within minutes. With advanced features for complete optimization, PC Reviver helps to maintain your computer performance and avoids any future issues.
In case, you want to know more about how to use PC Reviver, you can always visit the FAQ section to find more details.